Are you entering grade 5 and want to learn an instrument? Are you going to be in 6th and 7th grade and want to join your really awesome band friends? Good News!!!!!
To sign up for band you simply need to read the following information and fill out the google form.
Band classes meet once every three school days during the students specials/arts period. This allows students to experience all of their specials classes AND band. It's the best of both worlds!!!! Band classes typically start the second week of school but students are more than welcome to join at any time.
Students may choose the following instruments in their first year of band:
Percussion (Bells/Snare Drum)
Students looking to borrow instruments from Taunton Public Schools may not receive their first choice.
Absolutely!!!! It is our goal to find the right fit for each student. Sometimes the first instrument a student chooses is not the right one for them. On occasion we may request that an exceptional student switch to a less common instrument. These are usually school owned and will provide extra musical opportunities over the years.
5th and 6th grade band students will have two concerts a year. As the band members gain experience there will be more opportunities to perform in 7th grade.
Yes. Grades are based on class participation. Show up to class, with your instrument, and try. If you do those three things consistently the student WILL be successful and get their "A."
Simple, all you need to do is click on the link below!!!!
There are three ways to get an instrument for class.
1) You already own or have access to an instrument. If this is you please make sure the instrument works properly and students have the proper supplies for their particular instrument. The Taunton band directors will be more than happy to help you with this!
2) Rent an instrument through a local musical instrument store. This is the most common way our band members get their instruments and provides the most flexibility for future changes. While there are many options, we recommend the following local businesses. We encourage you to explore their websites and compare the details of each rental program. The Taunton band directors are always available to answer your questions about these rental program.
Eastern Music (affiliated with Music and Arts) in Taunton, MA
45 Main Street
Taunton, MA 02780
Phone: (508) 823-7117
All Financial Information can be found on the above links.
There are other options in the area but we believe the rental program and quality of instruments that this establishments offers will give the best value to our band members and their families. You can reserve your instruments for the fall through their website and the instruments will be delivered to the schools before your student's first class.
3) Purchase an instrument. We STRONGLY recommend that you contact a Taunton band director before doing this. There are countless options and often the first thing you find will not be the best value. Our goal is that your purchase provides the most positive experience for our band members. We can find quality options for any income level.
4) Borrow an instrument from the Taunton Public Schools. The band program has instruments available for students in need of financial assistance. We do everything we can to make sure the student gets their first choice but this is not always possible as we run out of some instruments quickly. Students are responsible for the care of the instrument.
5) Other Necessary Purchases: All Band students will need the band book for instruction. We use "Making Music Matter" which will be available with the rental company and can be found at both Eastern Music and K & C Music. Be sure to purchase the one specific to your instrument.
Clarinets, Saxophones, Oboes and Bassoons should have and extra supply of reeds. We recommend the brand Rico at the size of 2.5 to start on. Oboe and Bassoons should start on a "Medium Soft" reed. A flawed reed will cause great frustration for the students so always having a good supply of reeds is essential to the student's success.
Most other necessary supplies will be supplied with the rental.
Did you sign up yet?
Any of the Taunton band directors are available to answer your questions. You can find their contact information here: https://tauntonbands.com/contact